Today’s Muslim fashionistas are everywhere. This is not a new trend though, check out these 10 facts about how Muslims influenced a fashion revolution when no one even cared about spring collections and high heels.
1. Popular fashions like high-heeled shoes and lightweight pants for summer first came on to the scene in Muslim Spain more than a thousand years ago.
2. Ziryab, a famous 8th- to 9th-century musician and stylist from Baghdad, sparked a fashion movement in the Muslim world when he moved to Cordoba, in Muslim Spain.
3. People in Muslim Spain began to follow a fashion calendar, changing their styles based on the season like we do now.
4. Women in Muslim Spain went from wearing their hair in a single braid down the back to a bolder, shorter cut with bangs.
5. Men began shaving their beards – a nod to Ziryab’s clean-cut look.
6. Leather and cork-soled sandals became all the rage in Muslim Spain and a staple of the export trade.
7. Two medieval Muslim writers penned a book detailing how to make sandals, down to the specific stitching.
8. Some shoemakers put sand below the heel to make it higher and to act as a shock absorber, creating one of the earliest forms of high heels.
9. Today’s global Muslim fashion industry is estimated to be worth around 96 billion dollars.